Monday, June 4, 2012

The Girls' House: Phase 1

I have put together the house for the girls!
It was much harder than I thought. I actually broke a sweat and let out a few muttered curse words.
For some reason, I'm an idiot, and even though I did a dry run,  I STILL managed to put in two of the divider pieces backwards. I wood glued them in so I couldn't take them out so I had to do a lot of sanding and pushing and pulling to get them to fit right...backwards.

But it came together. And now the FUN part begins! Decorating!
Except wallpapering this b*tch sucked. Big time. It's not perfectly square is the problem. I really should have tried to wallpaper it before I put it together. I think that would have been easier and in turn would have stopped me from putting in those dividers backwards. Oh well.

I only did two rooms. Don't judge me. I'm bad at wallpapering.

                                 This room is going to be the playroom. It leads out onto the deck.
This room gave me so much grief. Getting the paper up and over those "square" support beams was awful. And there's still an unsightly bump on the top left hand back side but there's just no fixing it now. I have to remind myself that this house is intended for 3 girls under the age of 8, so I doubt they'll notice or care.

I think I'm going to actually keep the square rug instead of the Hello Kitty shaped rug I was playing around with in here.

This will be the 2 older girls' room. I plan to make bunkbeds. The rug isn't going to be this white one, I just put it in because the floor looked so bare without a rug. But I want to do a neon green circular rug I think. It will match the neon green in the wallpaper (and I bought material for bedding) and kind of represent grass.

I haven't decided if I'm going to paint the outside of the house or not. I'm torn because I love the natural wood look, but does it look too unfinished if I don't paint it? Then I was thinking of doing chalkboard paint somwhere because that's really cool and then the kids can draw on it with chalk or those chalk markers. Hm... lots to think about. And I don't want to spend too much money on this project so I'm trying to recycle and find new uses for things. However, I did spend money on the "wallpaper" AKA scrapbook paper, rug, and bedding. But in total I think I spent no more than $10 so far. So that's good.

I'm also going to install a few light fixtures. I'm going to do it how Megan did it on her blog. She has a tutorial there so hopefully I can follow it and get it right. I've never attempted electrical so, *crosses fingers* I hope it's as easy as she says.


  1. i can imagine you thinking thinking thinking!!! :)
    It looks great already!!! I love the castle!! :)

  2. The house looks fantastic. I love the wallpaper in both rooms. Wonderful work.
    Hugs Maria

  3. El resultado es fantástico! Ideal para 3 pequeñas, será como un sueño!
    Un abrazo

  4. Olvidé comentarte:
    MUCHAS GRACIAS Por no tener "palabra de verificación"

    1. Haha you're welcome! I know! For the life of me I cannot figure out what those words are sometimes!

  5. Hi Anna,
    Back at cha! I was checking out your awesome appliances, I'm so jealous! I bought some wood ones supposed to be SS, but obviously NOT), but now I may cover them with the stainless steel paper. Thanks for the tip! Your house is really coming along and it's very cute!

  6. The wallpaper is wonderful. I think a neon green rug will be work pretty in the room for the older children.
    Hugs from Craftland


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.